Saturday 14 February 2009

The more eagle-eyed amongst you may have spotted the addition of a few new Flange members.
Firstly Graham Rice, who I trust needs no introduction, and in addition to writing the things clearly in the advanced stages of book addiction, as these posts testify. Graham also DJ's, so I imagine his place is also awash with CD's and vinyl.

Next up is Sue “Trillium” Beasley. Well known in the UK for winning the BBC’s Gardener of the Year, her RHS show gardens at Tatton Park and her nursery.
Sue says she was sagging off from doing RHS Diploma revision as she’s reading
but Maggie Campbell-Culver's 'The Origin of Plants'. I reckon the revision must be deadly dull, because I found that book a bit dry and am still only about halfway through it, having picked it up and put it down a few times. Mind you in my case that it true of far to many books.

Lastly, but by no means least, we have one of the stars of the UK garden blogging firmament the blogger formerly known as R Pete Free.

Welcome to the Flange, book lovers.
.

3 comments:

Sue Beesley said...

Believe me, GM, 'The Origin of Plants' scored over much of the material I was revising from. And it's not a beginning-to-end kind of book anyway, more a dip in and and nod off affair...

Most of my garden books are under dust sheets as the house is more or less under reconstruction. And I've nothing of great antiquity or value, I'm afraid.

But I do now have the very first gardening book I ever read, courtesy of parental downsizing...

Mother's cast offs

Helen/patientgardener said...

I hadnt realised you were still flanging - will check in more regularly

Sue Beesley said...

Just pulled Peter Thompson's Creative Propagation, A Grower's Guide out from under a swathe of dust sheets and am delighted to have laid my hands on it again.

It's a wonderful resource book, stuffed full of superb advice for simple, low cost propagation. Highly observational with his own thoughts on the merits and otherwise of materials and techniques. Like being shown round a proper old fashioned nursery by a generous spirited, but curmudgeonly owner.